Freshmen basketball trio ready for fall

Bball Press Conference

After working with current players and strength and conditioning coach Je’Nay Jackson for eight weeks, the 2011 freshman basketball players are already beginning to feel at home.

When freshmen Remy Abell, Austin Etherington and Cody Zeller addressed the media Wednesday, it was clear they have enjoyed the relaxed feel of a lightly-populated campus and the less stressful class load this summer.

However, they have been working hard to prepare for the upcoming season. Zeller knows that life will be much different once the school year begins.

“It’s going to be a lot different once the real season starts because none of the coaches can be at any of the workouts right now, so that’s going to change,” Zeller said. “There aren’t a whole lot of students here for the summer.

“I think it’s just kind of a taste of what it’s going to be like once it really comes around in the fall.”

Although head coach Tom Crean and many of the other coaches aren’t allowed to be working with the players during the summer, players like junior Jordan Hulls have taken on the role of coach during the workouts, Etherington said.

“The other guys are getting a lot better, so it makes us work harder, too and be ready at that level,” Etherington said. “They’re definitely working hard to make us be the best players we can be.”

Etherington added that a large difference between preparing for collegiate basketball and preparing for high school basketball was working out on his own, without coaches to push him.

Abell said as a result of the increased level of competition, working hard is a necessity.

“In high school, you’re the star of your team,” Abell said, “but coming into college, you’re a freshman, so you’re kind of at the bottom. You have to boot yourself to work even harder and stay up with the team.”

The competition and time spent with other players has helped the freshmen find motivation, and they are beginning to see results. Zeller has added ten pounds over the summer and estimates that he is a little over 225 pounds. He hopes to be at 235 pounds by the time the season starts.

The trio of newcomers have begun to figure out what their respective roles may be once the season gets going, and they are all very aware of both their own and each other’s talents.

“I definitely feel like I can go in and help be the guy that hits the open shot, be the guy they need to hit the shot,” Etherington said. “I think all of us are going to be able to fit in pretty well.”