LSU player to visit IU for weekend tour

Garrett Green, a potential men’s basketball transfer who previously played for LSU, will be on campus this weekend for an official visit.

Green, a forward listed 6 feet 11 inches and 230 pounds, started five games for the Tigers last season, averaging 6.3 points and 5.1 rebounds in 18 minutes per game.

Generally, a player transferring from one school to another is required to sit out a season. However, Green has already graduated from LSU with a degree in sports commerce.

He is utilizing an NCAA rule that allows a player who has graduated with remaining eligibility to transfer to another school that offers a master’s program not
offered at his or her original school and be immediately eligible.

Green is originally from Woodland Hills, Calif., and has also reportedly been contacted by two schools closer to his hometown: Arizona State and Long Beach State.

As of Wednesday, though, he had not set up visits to any schools besides Indiana.
IU has one remaining scholarship for the 2011-12 season. Green has one season of eligibility remaining and would not affect scholarship numbers beyond next season.

IU returns no players taller than 6 feet 9 inches and lost forward Bobby Capobianco, who transferred to Valparaiso.

But Green, and highly-touted incoming freshman forward Cody Zeller, could each provide size inside for the Hoosiers.

— Max McCombs