Police question early morning traffic on College Ave.

Missing: Lauren Spierer

The Bloomington Police Department led a traffic stop that questioned drivers, walkers and bikers traveling down North College Avenue at about 3:30 a.m. Friday morning.

At least twelve cars, a mix of BPD and IU Police Department vehicles, lined College between 11th and 10th streets.

About 50 drivers were pulled over so that officers could spread information about missing IU student Lauren Spierer and ask questions. Among those pulled over was a WTHR-TV (Indianapolis) satellite truck.

Everyone who passed through the stretch of road was given a “Missing” flier with Lauren’s photo and information on it. Each stop lasted between one and two minutes.
The traffic stop started before and ended after the last known appearance of Lauren exactly one week previously.

Lt. Scott Oldham of BPD confirmed that the officers asked questions, but would not divulge the nature of those questions. He said more information would be available at today’s 11:30 a.m. briefing.

Before the traffic stop, volunteers who organized searches all week for Lauren set out on their own search at about midnight. The group walked up alleyways and streets near 11th and College, where Lauren was last seen.

After their search, they returned to the staging area near Smallwood Plaza, where they waited and rested for much of the night.

—Alex Farris