sports softball

Southpaw has full-circle journey into IU record books

Softball vs. Ball State

IU softball coach Michelle Gardner looks out from her spot in the dugout as she watches her star pitcher strike out batter after batter.

She looks on with amazement at the talent the left-hander has to offer.

IU senior pitcher Morgan Melloh has been in Bloomington for less than a year and has already made a lasting effect on the Hoosier softball program. On Wednesday, Melloh struck out 14 Ball State Cardinals en route to her 23rd victory of the season, but this performance was special for a different reason. In the process, Melloh became the single-season strikeout leader, passing Amy Unterbrink. Unterbrink set the record in 1986 with 370.

Melloh, a Fishers, Ind., native, transferred closer to home after three years at Fresno State University. Many of her current Hoosier teammates were excited that Melloh had so much success in her career, but even catcher Cassie Gogreve said she didn’t realize the senior pitcher would be this dominant.

“I didn’t really know how much of an impact that she could have by playing every game and really being the ace dominant pitcher on our team,” Gogreve said.

Melloh entered the year with a 90-35 record and 1.76 ERA after three years at Fresno State. This season, Melloh has shown no signs of slowing down, posting a 23-14 record with a 1.84 ERA and striking out 375 batters. Her career total in strikeouts is 1,513, placing her at ninth all-time in Division I history.

While there are many elite pitchers in the country, Gardner said there is something different about Melloh that allows her to continue to dominate inside the circle.

“She can throw herself into a bases-loaded situation and throw herself out of it, and I think that’s a special quality,” Gardner said. “She has not only the speed, but the ball movement that it takes to be at that level.”

Melloh has infused confidence into a team that has been short on wins the last few years. Gogreve said the success the Hoosiers have experienced this season has rubbed off on the entire team.

“Seeing how great she is reinforces the idea that we can be that great too, and the level that she succeeds at every game is something that we all try to work toward,” she said.

Throughout all of her success, Melloh continues to stay motivated. The three-time Big Ten Pitcher of the Week still works toward her ultimate goal: the World Series.

“It makes me stronger to work toward a bigger goal like winning the World Series, and I think this team is capable of doing that,” Melloh said.

With all of the success this season, Gardner said the Hoosiers will only get better in the seasons to come now that they have seen they can all be successful.

“All their expectations have gone up, so now they are going to expect more next year than they have this year,” Gardner said.