sports softball

IU sweeps postponed doubleheader on road against Illinois

The IU softball team swept their rain-delayed doubleheader against Illinois Thursday to extend their winning streak to 12 and improve their record to 32-15 (12-2).

The Hoosiers improved their road record to 19-14 on the year. The Hoosiers outscored the Illini 11-1 in the two games.

Senior pitcher Morgan Melloh tossed two complete games while giving up only one earned run and striking out 21.

Melloh surpassed the 400-strikeout mark for the third time in her college career. Junior outfielder Heather Nelson is continuously impressed with all the things that Melloh is able to do for the Hoosiers.

“She’s given us the pitching that we needed, and she’s also got the confidence and the energy that we needed to bring to win the game,” Nelson said.

The team has now not only won 12 straight but 20 of their last 23 overall since starting 12-12 and have won 11 straight conference games, the longest such streak in school history.  Despite their success, senior first baseman Sara Olson doesn’t see the team becoming complacent as they are very focused on the task at hand.

“We just need to keep working and moving from here,” Olson said. “We’re never really satisfied with anything that we are doing, because we are trying to keep getting better everyday. We’re never settling.”

While the Hoosiers excelled at the plate in their first game Thursday, an 8-0 victory, defense was key in their second win, a 3-1 triumph. Up 3-1 in the bottom of the seventh, the Illini loaded the bases with one out when recently-inserted defensive replacement Nelson made an over-the-shoulder catch to preserve the lead.

“It was a line drive over the left side of my shoulder,” Nelson said. “I took a drop step and made sure to catch the ball.”

IU will welcome the University of Iowa for a two-game series this weekend in Bloomington, where the Hoosiers are 13-1 this season.