sports women's basketball

IU faces Purdue in first round of Big Ten Tournament

Women's basketball vs. Iowa

The start of the Big Ten Tournament is the beginning of a new opportunity for the IU women’s basketball team. It is the players’ final chance to prove that their overall season record does not reflect the strength of their team.

“It’s a new season,” senior guard Jori Davis said. “Nothing we did in the past mattered. So we just have to come with a new outlook.”

IU, ranked 10th in the tournament, will look to get its first win of the season against rival Purdue.  Purdue currently has the upper hand in the matchup, having defeated the Hoosiers in both contests this year.

The Boilermakers enter the tournament winning three of their last four games, while the Hoosiers are on a four-game slide.

IU will need to look out for junior guard Brittany Rayburn. She is averaging 14.2 points per game coming into this matchup and is a consistent foul-shooter, making 88.8 percent from the charity stripe.

The Hoosiers have struggled to stop its opponents from converting 3-point field goals in February. Davis said stopping the three and limiting easy scores from post players could be crucial to a Hoosier win.

Freshman center Simone Deloach could help the rebounding and defensive situation for IU.

Deloach earned herself a starting spot for the Hoosiers late in the season and has added to the defensive intensity of the team.

“In order for me to help this team I have to bring energy,”
Deloach said. “When I have high energy the team has high energy. If I can keep that on or off the bench, it will help the team.”

IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said she has believed in her team all year and that this is its final shot.

“Whenever that ball goes up in the air you have to believe you have a chance,” Legette-Jack said. “I think that with a new season coming it’s either survive to move on or you don’t.”