sports softball

Hoosiers test win streak against Butler in Classic

The IU softball team will look to continue its season high four-game winning streak at home when it takes on Butler University in a doubleheader Tuesday. The game is part of the Hoosier Classic at the IU Softball Field.

With a record of 16-12, the Hoosiers matched their highest win total since the 2008 season when they finished 16-35.  

The four-game winning streak coincided with the Hoosiers’ first four home games of the season.

They took advantage of that with a stellar 0.78 ERA with all four victories coming from senior Morgan Melloh.

The Hoosiers have relied on the arm of Melloh this year, who has started 21 of the team’s 28 games while posting a 2.72 ERA.

In addition to getting consistency on the mound, there are also three Hoosiers that are hitting above .300 this season.

Senior Sara Olson has provided the power in the middle of the IU lineup, leading the team with five home runs and 20 RBI while hitting .321.

While they have gotten timely hitting out of seniors like Olson, the Hoosiers have also benefited from the emergence of underclassmen like freshman Ashley Warrum.

The Pendleton, Ind., native is currently leading the Hoosiers with a .360 average. Sophomore shortstop Breanna Saucedo is hitting .340 and has also stolen 10 bases this season.

IU is four games over .500 for the first time since March 2007 with the beginning of the Big Ten season on the horizon.

The Hoosiers will play a pair of home games against Minnesota on March 26 and 27 to open the conference season.