sports wrestling

Wrestlers resume conference slate against Minnesota

Wrestling

After a trio of decisive meet victories last weekend, the IU wrestlers resume their Big Ten season Friday at Minnesota.

Ranked fifth nationally in the latest Intermat rankings, the Golden Gophers will be heavily favored against the visiting No. 24-ranked Hoosiers.

However, IU coach Duane Goldman said that means it is very clear what his team will need to do to win.

“We’re going to have to win the three matches or so that we’re probably favored (in) and then pull off some upsets,” Goldman said. “All the matches are going to be tough, regardless.”

IU senior Paul Young, coming off a knee injury suffered against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, and senior Kurt Kinser will be favored at 157 and 149 pounds, respectively.

A key match for both teams could be at 197 pounds where IU’s highest-ranked wrestler, junior Matt Powless — 27-2 for the year and currently ranked sixth nationally — could face the Gophers’ fifth-ranked junior Sonny Yohn.

However, Yohn was injured recently and his status for the match is uncertain.

Provided Yohn is healthy for the match, Goldman said he believes that the match alone will not determine the team’s overall outcome.

Each team also has a ranked heavyweight, who will face off, as well.

“One upset isn’t necessarily going to do it,” Goldman said. “There’s 10 individual matches. It’s not just having one extra win here or there. If their regular starter is in at 197, they’re going to be favored in eight matches. One upset (is not) going to do it. We’re going to have to pull several.”