sports women's basketball

Women's basketball faces Clemson in ACC/Big Ten Challenge

The IU women’s basketball game today will be exactly how the name describes it —
a challenge.

The Hoosiers (3-3) travel to compete against Clemson (5-1) as part of the 2010 ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

The Hoosiers face a tall, strong opponent in the Tigers. Clemson has maintained a rebounding margin of plus-10.7 and has a tough inside-out presence.

“If we pressure them a little bit, then we can get some turnovers,” coach Felisha Legette-Jack said. “Once they get in the frontcourt, it will be really difficult to defend that team.”

Legette-Jack stressed rebounding, defensive pressure and, most importantly, a tough mental attitude this week in practice to overcome a tough Clemson team.

“We finally outrebounded a team against Cleveland State,” senior forward Hope Elam said. “That’s definitely a key to win, outrebounding our opponent.”

The bench contribution this season has helped the Hoosiers thus far. Elam, a product of that bench contribution, now moves into the starting lineup. She has contributed from 3-point range, hitting a team-high 14 3-point field goals.

Senior guard Jori Davis echoed Legette-Jack’s need for mental toughness when speaking about the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

“Playing with a high level of IQ and really playing smart this game will help us, not so much the physical,” Davis said. “If we come focused, ... we definitely can beat them.”

This year’s challenge features six teams ranked in the Associated Press top 25, and conference pride will be on the line.

“It’s not just Indiana we are representing, it’s about the entire Big Ten,” Legette-Jack said. “You don’t want to be the team that didn’t defend the Big Ten.”