Senior Esther Uduehi named 2011 Rhodes Scholar

Esther

Esther Uduehi has been named the 16th IU student to be named a Rhodes Scholar.

Uduehi, a senior majoring in chemistry and mathematics, will be studying at the University of Oxford in England. The scholarship pays for all expenses for two or three years.

“Esther is a truly remarkable student and is most deserving of this honor,” said IU President Michael McRobbie. “All of us at Indiana University are extremely proud of what she has achieved during her years of study here and are excited for her to continue her academic pursuits at Oxford.”

Uduehi is a Herman B Wells Scholar and former valedictorian of F.J. Reitz High School in Evansville. She has also been named a National Achievement Scholar and a Senator Richard G. Lugar Scholar.

She has also received the Indianapolis Star Minority Achievement Award, and she received the Kenneth R.R. Gros Louis Scholarship this year.

Uduehi co-founded the IU Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students and the IU Photography Society. She also served as diversity director for the IU Student Association, and the vice president of IU’s Board of Aeons, which is a board that conducts research for the president’s office.

She is currently IU’s presidential student intern, and she has interned with the IU Premed Summer Experience Program.
Rhodes has already studied at Oxford as a visiting student in chemistry and biochemistry last fall.

“It’s a great privilege not only to receive the Wells Scholarship but also to represent Indiana University,” Uduehi said. “As happy as I am that I won the award, I am equally happy that IU had three finalists who demonstrated the academic excellence and integrity of this university. I’m looking forward to continuing my career at Oxford and expanding on the great educational foundation that I received at IU.”