Concert at Rachael’s for Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week

Fundraising and awareness will be the main themes today at the Indiana Public Interest Research Group’s “Beats to Get ‘Em Off the Streets” concert to celebrate Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week at Rachael’s Café.

The show begins at 6:30 p.m., and there is a $5 cover charge, which, after costs, will go entirely to The National Student Campaign for Hunger and Homelessness. This is one of the many campaigns of INPIRG, which will also be taking canned food donations and passing out change jars during the event.

“This concert is a great chance for us to raise money and get a lot of exposure,” said junior Caitlin Saraceno, who coordinated the show along with freshman Lierin Ehmke, members of INPIRG.

“About 80 people responded to the Facebook event, so even if only half of them show up we’ll still make about $200,” Saraceno said.

Ehmke said the idea for a benefit concert has been floating around at INPIRG for a few years, but the group hasn’t acted upon it until now.

“Sarah (Wirth), the campaign coordinator, brought it up when I first joined the campaign,” Ehmke said. “During one of the meetings I let her know that I had a connection with Hotfox, who was on board, and that was the beginning.”

The concert takes place on the second day of National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. More than 500 campuses take part in the event by organizing education, service and advocacy events, according the campaign’s website.

“The timing on this was just impeccable,” Ehmke said.

The show features five local acts; singer-songwriter Zach Majors, surf rock band The Constants, one-man pop-punk band Take a Picture, rock ’n’ roll band The 8’s, and indie rock group Hotfox. 

“We’re always excited for the opportunity to play in Bloomington,” Hotfox drummer Michael Preuschl said.

Hotfox, originally from Indianapolis, recently returned from Ohio, where the band played at the Miami University Dance Marathon.

“It’s great when we can get shows close to home,” Preuschl said.

Majors, Take a Picture and The 8’s will all play 15-minute acoustic sets, while Hotfox and The Constants will both play 30-minute sets.