sports men's soccer

Men's soccer travels to Lexington for nonconference game

Mens Soccer v. Michigan

The men’s soccer team hasn’t forgotten the home win against Michigan on Saturday that put the team back atop the Big Ten rankings.

Senior and midfielder Daniel Kelly knows top conference play is what is important right now.

But he is ready to get away from Bloomington for a game.

Luckily for him, the Hoosiers have a midweek game at 7 p.m.  today at Kentucky.

“A lot of times there’s more focus on away games,” Kelly said. “We play much better away. You lose the distractions from home. You’re in a hotel. You’re around the guys. You’re going to get a good feeling. It feels like preseason.”

While the team’s four losses are split evenly between home and away, the Hoosiers have never lost to Kentucky in an away match.

Kentucky is currently 2-2-2 in its last six games, with four of those games going into overtime. The Wildcats are 4-6-3 this season.

“You get the Midwest kind of guys that end up in Kentucky,” Kelly said. “They have pride there, and being one of two schools in the SEC that has a men’s soccer program, they’re going to try to represent.”

In the 24 matchups between the teams, IU has only lost in 1995. The last tie between the two teams came in 2008 in Bloomington. The Hoosiers’ all-time record against the Wildcats is 21-1-2.

“Kentucky has always been a good team,” Kelly said. “It’s always a hard battle. They’re physical, they play like a Big Ten school, and they’ve got some talented guys. It’s not like you can take anybody in college soccer and play them there.”

In his first year as a Hoosier after transferring from Wake Forest, junior midfielder Chris Estridge has already been introduced to the physical style of Big Ten play.

“Coming off a big win and playing well, we have a lot of confidence going into it,” Estridge said. “Record is one thing, but we’re going to play it like we don’t have such a big winning percentage over them. We’re going to play it like it’s another important game because of course, it is. We want another W.”

Estridge suffered a concussion against Michigan. He is hopeful to play against Kentucky.

Another victory would add to the Hoosiers’ current 7-4-1 record as the season turns toward the NCAA Tournament.

“It’s just trying to get that focus clicked in,” Kelly said. “Each game is important here on out. This is the time that we show the country, ‘Alright, we’re on a streak, and this is just when Indiana plays well.’”