From the IU basketball recruiting front

Peter Jurkin

As high school recruits settle in to the fall semester, many have begun making campus visits and whittling down their college decisions.

Here's an update on the IU recruiting front - from this year's class through 2014.

Already here for this year
F - Will Sheehey – 6’6”, 195 pounds
A three-star recruit by Rivals, Sheehey declined scholarship offers from George Washington and Stanford when he committed to IU in November 2009. He averaged 14 points, seven rebounds and four assists in his senior season at Sagemont High School in Weston, Fla.

G -  Victor Oladipo – 6’5”, 210 pounds
Oladipo turned down offers from 12 schools to play for IU, committing in early September 2009. As a senior at DeMatha High School in the Washington, D.C.area, he averaged 12 points and 10 rebounds per game, and he was ranked the No. 144 player in the 2010 class by Rivals.

C -  Guy-Marc  Michel – 7’0”, 277 pounds
Michel transferred to IU after two seasons at Northern Idaho College, where he was the Scenic West Athletic Conference’s leader in blocks each year. Before college, he was a member of the U-20 French National Team, although he is originally from the Carribbean island Martinique.

Committed to IU
F - 2011 - Austin Etherington – 6’6”, 185 pounds
Etherington was the first – and so far, only – commitment secured by IU in the 2011 class. He turned down offers from Butler, New Mexico, Oklahoma State and Xavier when he committed to the Hoosiers in August 2009. Etherington showed off his skills on the Indiana Elite AAU team and earned a three-star rating from Rivals.

C – 2012 - Peter Jurkin – 6’11”, 205 pounds
Jurkin was the first high school junior to pledge his allegiance to IU, announcing his decision during halftime of the adidas Nations Global Challenge championship game in August. He also had offers from South Carolina and Clemson.
“It’s a good college. Good coach. I like it,” the Sudan native said about IU.

G – 2012 Ron Patterson – 6’3”, 195 pounds
The No. 16 ranked guard by Rivals in the 2012 class, Patterson had plenty of options to choose from. Ten other schools – including half of the Big Ten – extended scholarships his way. But the Hoosiers nabbed a verbal commitment from the Indianapolis native on Aug. 15, their first guard commit since Oladipo.

G – 2014 - James Blackmon, Jr. – 6’2”, 170 pounds
Blackmon, Jr. became easily the youngest IU commit on Sept. 3, and the only player on ESPN’s 2014 Top-40 list to commit to a school.

Committed elsewhere
G – 2011 - Marquis Teague – Kentucky– committed April 22, 2010
Teague, the No.2 rated player in Rivals’ 2011 class, declined offers from IU, Ohio State and Purdue, among others, to play with the Wildcats.

F – 2011 - Marshall Plumlee – Duke – committed July 11, 2010
Plumee, the No. 82 player in Rivals’ 2011 class, turned down offers from IU and five other Big Ten schools.

C - 2011 - Rakeem Christmas – Syracuse – committed Aug. 6, 2010
A former IU prospect, Christmas trimmed IU off his short list and committed to the Orange instead of offerings from schools such as Florida, Texas and Georgetown.

G – 2011 - B.J. Young – Arkansas – committed Sept. 4, 2010
Young is the No. 4 ranked guard by Rivals, and he denied offers schools such as IU, Baylor and Marquette when he committed to the Razorbacks on Sunday.

Interested in IU (2011 and 2012)

F – 2011 - Cody Zeller – 6’10”, 205 pounds
Zeller, the No. 20 ranked player by Rivals, has trimmed his list of schools down to three – IU, Butler and North Carolina. He will make his official visit to Bloomington at the end of October.

F – 2012 - Hanner Perea – 6’8”, 210 pounds
The No. 10 ranked player by Rivals, Perea has “high” interest in IU and may decide between the Hoosiers and Baylor.

G – 2012 - Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell – 5’10”, 160 pounds
The No. 2 ranked guard by Rivals, Ferrell is entertaining offers from nine schools, including IU.

G – 2012 - Gary Harris – 6’4”, 170 pounds
Ranked No. 24 by Rivals, the Hamilton Southeastern multi-sport standout has 13 scholarship offers, including one from IU.

G – 2012 - D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera – 6’4”, 220 pounds
Smith-Rivera is ranked No. 25 by Rivals and has offers from seven total schools, including IU.

G – 2012 - Jeremy Hollowell – 6’6”, 190 pounds
Hollowell, the No. 39 player according to Rivals, will likely choose between Ohio State and IU.

F – 2012 - DeJuan Marrero – 6’5”, 200 pounds
The No. 99 ranked player by Rivals, Marrero has offers from IU, Cincinnati, Illinois, Ohio State and Purdue.

— Compiled by Ryan Winn