sports men's soccer

Bruin wins weekly Big Ten award for hat trick

Men's Soccer

Will Bruin led the IU men’s soccer team with nine goals in 22 games during the 2009 season.

The junior forward has nearly half as many scores after just two contests in the 2010 campaign and currently leads the Big Ten in number of goals scored.

Bruin was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week Monday, a day after he compiled his first three-goal game as a Hoosier in IU’s 5-1 upset of No. 5 UCLA.

It was the first weekly conference award for Bruin, who also earned Top Drawer Soccer Player of the Week honors.

“Will was just an absolute handful today,” IU coach Todd Yeagley said after Sunday’s win. “Hopefully, he’ll continue to do that.”  

Bruin was also named Offensive MVP of the IU adidas Credit Union Classic for his performances in the Hoosiers’ two weekend games.

He totaled four goals and 14 shots, nine of which came on goal.

In addition to his hat trick Sunday, the St. Louis native scored the lone IU goal of a 2-1 double overtime loss to California on Friday.

With 15 games remaining in the regular season, Bruin has plenty of time to score five goals and tie his 2009 mark — or smash the record completely.

He has a chance to continue his hot start when the Hoosiers return to the pitch at 5 p.m. Friday against Cal-Poly in the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament in South Bend.

— Stephanie Kuzydym