'The A-Team'

ateam

Release Date: June 11
Starring:
Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Jessica Biel

The one thing most people remember about the “A-Team” television show is B.A. Baracus, played by the legendary Mr. T. Only a true fan will remember the other members: Hannibal, Faceman and Howling Mad. This group of Vietnam-era mercenaries graced the air for four seasons in the mid-1980s but apparently left enough of a mark to be made into a movie nearly 25 years later. That and Hollywood is running out of ideas and will eventually remake every halfway-decent television show as a film.

The cast is intriguing. Liam Neeson leads the A-Team, along with Bradley Cooper (“The Hangover”), Sharlto Copley and UFC fighter (though he has since announced his retirement) “Rampage” Jackson taking over Mr. T’s role. Jessica Biel provides the feminine counterpoint.

The premise remains the same as the TV show: four army officers are sent to prison for a crime they didn’t commit, but they manage to escape. The film promises a lot of action, explosions, and corny one-liners but will probably be no better than a mediocre summer action flick. The TV show was known for its surprise cameos (Hulk Hogan, Pat Sajak, Rick James), so director Joe Carnahan might try to pay homage to the film’s predecessor. Hopefully he was able to get a hold of Mr. T.

HYPE:
5
EXPECTED QUALITY:
5