sports women's basketball

New hire a 'tremendous' addition

Nathan Altenhofen wears the “defensive-minded coach” badge proudly. And given the emphasis IU women’s basketball coach Felisha Legette-Jack has placed on defense, the team’s new assistant coach feels that’s where he can help jump-start the program.

“I bring a lot of energy and a lot of intensity, especially to that defensive side of the ball,” Altenhofen said.

Altenhofen, who compiled a 73-25 record in three seasons as coach of National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics St. Ambrose University, agreed to join the Hoosiers’ staff starting June 1.

“I’m extremely excited,” he said. “Ever since getting the phone call from Coach Jack, I’ve been wanting to get started the very next hour. I think it’s such a great opportunity.”

He joins current assistant coaches Amaka Agugua, Jose Mori and Stephanie Siler.
Legette-Jack said Altenhofen fits perfectly with the women’s basketball program’s agenda.

“He’s going to continue with ... character being first, academics being second and basketball being the third thing on our list,” she said. “Basketball-wise, he ... absolutely gets off on teaching the defensive side. He’s a proven winner everywhere he’s gone. He touched programs and helped them find success.

“I think that his addition to Amaka, Jose and Stephanie is going to be tremendous.”
While the “defensive-minded coach” label certainly might be a breath of fresh air for a team that allowed the second-most points per game in the Big Ten with 65.5 last season, Altenhofen’s “proven winner” label might hold just as much credence.

In addition to his career mark at St. Ambrose, which included Midwest Collegiate Coach of the Year honors following his initial campaign with the Queen Bees, he excelled at the junior college ranks, leading Odessa College to a 66-3 record over two seasons and the National Junior College Athletic Association title in 2007.

The situation at IU, Altenhofen said, convinced him that joining the Hoosiers was the perfect next career move.

“Obviously, I’ve heard a lot of great things about Coach Jack and the staff,” he said. “I think everybody close to their side and my side really did their homework on what kind of people we were going to be associated with. And then, obviously, IU has just got a great athletic tradition, especially when it comes to basketball, along with the opportunity to coach in the Big Ten.

“I just thought putting all three of those pieces together was too good of an opportunity not to pursue strongly.”

Legette-Jack said Altenhofen has the same “go-getter” mentality as the team and can work well with the staff and players.

“His enthusiasm will purpose you,” she said. “He’s a no-nonsense kind of a guy — he kind of gets you to get the job done. There’s no secret about what his focus is. It’s about pursuing greatness in the classroom and then on the court. You won’t get a lot of fluff from him.”

Altenhofen said he is looking forward to starting on all that once he begins work this summer.

“I’m just excited to do every aspect, whether that’s get on the road and do some recruiting or evaluate film or work with the players — whatever is asked,” he said. “I couldn’t be more blessed with this opportunity right now.”