Ginger Ale takes crown in 20th annual Miss Gay IU

Miss Gay IU

During the evening gown portion of the competition, contestant Ginger Ale slithered down the catwalk in an orange and pink sparkly dress that resembled a tequila sunrise cocktail.

For her talent portion, she glittered in gold, convulsing as she lip-synched dialogue from the television series “Wife Swap” and the gospel song “Long As I’ve Got King Jesus.” 

Later, when she was announced Miss Gay IU 2010 on Friday at the IU Auditorium, she pressed her fingers to her lips emotionally as the diamond crown was set onto her massive hair.

Ginger Ale competed in the 20th annual competition, presented by OUT! Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Union against two other contestants, Samantha Lynn and Gothika.

Audience member Teri Lindsey, who drove from New Castle, Ind., to watch the show, said she was impressed with Ginger Ale’s performances.

“She was fabulous,” Lindsey said.

Ale said Chanel Cartier, who was the 2009 Miss Gay IU, was a part of her success, and she was excited to become involved in the community.

“I will hopefully bring more of a focus on raising money for OUT!,” Ale said. “It’s going to bring self-fulfillment, an opportunity for philanthropy.”

As a former Miss Gay Indiana, she said throughout the next year she hopes to raise money for HIV/AIDS awareness in the Bloomington community and beyond.

The competition, with the theme “Music Of The Night” stemming from “Phantom of the Opera,” was elaborately filled with mist, masks, diamonds, big eye lashes and a stage full of black and white costumes.

The entire night featured different entertainers, including Keagan Holiday, Hoosier Daddy 2010; Marissa Nichole, Miss Gay IU 1995; and Della Licious, Miss Gay IU 2003.

The entertainers wore extravagant costumes and worked the crowd, receiving cash tips from audience members throughout their performances. 

As emcee and entertainer, Licious shocked the crowd when she came on stage with golden stickers covering her nipples, a leotard and a curly red wig hanging from between her legs. After her performance, she approached the podium on the stage.

“I’m here to represent the big girl,” Licious said. “Is that OK?”

Licious and fellow emcee Vicki St. James charmed the crowd between performances and portions of the competition. At the beginning of the show, St. James warned the audience that the competition would be PG-17 rated.

Dispersed throughout the performances, the three contestants challenged one another in an evening gown, question-and-answer and talent competition.

For the question-and-answer portion, competitors were individually asked questions about current GLBT issues, reaching the younger GLBT community and the purpose of drag. 

Each contestant infused her own style into her talent performance.

Lynn, who won the “Most Beautiful” award, performed a duet with another performer to the song “Anything You Can Do,” and fellow contestant Gothika, who won the “Miss Congeniality” award, and performed a seductive ballad while using a chair as a prop.
Cartier took her final walk as Miss Gay IU as Ginger Ale was crowned. Cartier said she was extremely happy with the judges’ decision, and she thought passing on the crown to Ale was the right choice.

“I couldn’t be happier,” Cartier said. “She’s the one I would pick if I had to select her. This is her time now. I feel blessed and honored.”