McRobbie rocks WFIU studios

IU President Michael McRobbie serves the University in many capacities, and on Friday that list will include radio DJ.

McRobbie will be the host of the WFIU radio program “Just You and Me with Joe Bourne” from 3:30 to 5 p.m. on 103.7 FM. McRobbie’s radio time will be spent showing listeners the rock ’n’ roll classics he grew up with and revered as “cool.”

“He is going to play some of his favorite recordings from the late ’60s,” WFIU Marketing Director Scott Witzke said. “He is focusing on live recordings because he feels that that is where the music shines.”

Witzke explained how McRobbie has a vast appreciation of various types of music. Described as a jazz aficionado, McRobbie was a host on WFIU radio last April, playing a selection of his favorite jazz music.

For his second round playing radio jockey, listeners can expect to hear bands such as Led Zeppelin and Cream, all chosen by McRobbie as he explains why he likes the music and the memories associated with his selections.

WFIU Station Manager Christina Kuzmych said she finds McRobbie’s on-air contributions encouraging.

“The arts are in a difficult situation right now in terms of funding,” Kuzmych said. “Having someone from the administration speak up for the arts and get behind the arts is really important.”

Kuzymych said the radio program will shine a different light on McRobbie.

“I think the students would enjoy hearing their president serve as a DJ for a local radio station,” Kuzymych said. “It’s definitely not the type of work he normally does or the type of way students normally see him.”