Women's swimming and diving set to defend Big Ten title

The IU women’s swimming and diving coaches gave each swimmer a T-shirt with a target on the back during this week’s practice.

This is exactly what the No. 14 Hoosiers will have when they step foot in West Lafayette to defend their Big Ten title.

It has been more than three weeks since the Hoosiers’ last victory against a Big Ten team, and the women will have their work cut out for them if they hope to repeat as champions, IU coach Ray Looze said.

“We are kind of going in as the underdog,” Looze said. “I would say Minnesota is the overwhelming favorite. We are really going to have to work some IU magic to do anything with them.”

Senior Kate Fesenko remains undefeated in the 100 and 200 backstroke in her Big Ten career, and although keeping her streak alive would be nice, it is not prevalent on her mind.

“Winning the championships for the second time in the row is going to be the most important thing for everyone,” she said. “It’s well more important than individual titles.”

A championship title would mean a third ring for senior Donna Smailis, but to do that, IU will have to qualify women in every event.

The coaching staff told the swimmers they would have to have at least two girls in each final, but Smailis knows not to worry about the numbers and averages.

“Swimming is really simple,” she said. “They just tell you to swim without your head so you don’t think about it. Just have fun and you’ll swim fast.”

The divers have also been strong for the Hoosiers as of late. Several divers will be coming off outstanding performances at the Winter Nationals last weekend, and those who did not compete are ready for their shot.

“They are all well above their personal bests, so that is very motivating,” IU diving coach Jeff Huber said. “It is all there; you just have to tweak it a little bit.”

Huber said he believes they will be just as competitive as everyone in the conference and has been preparing his divers with rehearsal performances so there will be no surprises.

It is often difficult to defend any title, and the Hoosiers know this. That is why Looze wants his swimmers to keep their mindsets in the present week.

“I don’t really see us as defending a Big Ten title,” he said. “We tried to sort of put that out of our heads and focus on the here and now.”