Three IU divers prepare for Nationals

swimming

Junior Heidi Mahnken slowly and carefully balanced along the end of the 10-meter platform before reaching down to move her body into a full handstand and sailing downward into the water.

Her dive is just one of the many in the days leading into the USA Diving Winter Nationals.

Three IU divers are pre-qualified for the event being held Thursday through Monday in Columbus, Ohio. Mahnken and senior Amy Korthauer will dive in the 10-meter platform competition, while senior Brittney Feldman will compete in the 1- and 3-meter springboard and the 3-meter synchronized competition.

This particular meet was moved from April to February this year and has forced Hoosier divers to alter their practice schedules to be in the best place the championship season, IU coach Jeff Huber said.

“Its kind of a juggling act for me to try and have them ready to dive in this meet and peek towards conference championships and of course the NCAA,” he said.

The Hoosiers will have their work cut out for them as the team competes against the top divers from around the country, but Korthauer believes she has prepared herself for the task.

“There is a lot of stuff that goes on at home, like watching your video and visualizing your dives,” she said. “That way when you get up there and it is actually the meet, you don’t freak out, and you know exactly what you’re doing.”

Mahnken has been working to perfect her favorite dive, a back-handstand twister, and is excited to perform her new inward dive at Nationals.

Using this dive, along with three other selections, Mahnken hopes to qualify for finals by being in one of the top-12 spots. Now, mental preparation is just as important as physical.

“I just try not to get nervous,” Mahnken said. “I try to stay loose and have fun and trying not to freak myself out about my dives.”

All the divers competing have been to this competition before, so Huber hopes the pressure will not affect them.

“I really preach focusing on performances and doing the things you want to do,” he said. “If you go out and have a good performance you’re going to be happy no matter where you finish.”