sports softball

Softball starts off season with youthful team

In IU coach Michelle Gardner’s first season, the softball team went 10-39. But this season looks to be an improvement with the addition of a youthful lineup.

This weekend begins IU softball’s 37th season as a varsity sport.

“Everyone is looking good, so I think this year should be much improved from last year,” senior infielder Kristin King said.

Gardner and junior pitcher Sara Olsen want to rebuild the team both in the Big Ten
conference and nationally.

“We do have a lot of freshman in our program and a lot of young leaders, which is good for a team,” Olson said.

Though 10 freshmen were added to the roster, there is still experience with five seniors, five juniors and three sophomores.

“I’m a senior so I try to be a leader on and off the field for my team,” King said.
The Hoosiers haven’t had a season over .500 percent since 2005.

However, IU’s best pitcher Olson returns this year after making third-team All-Big Ten last year.

Olson threw a no-hitter last year against Ohio State on April 8.

Talented senior outfielder Jennifer Glueckert returns as one of the top Hoosier hitters with a .256 batting average and four triples last season.

“This weekend will give us the experience of being out there on the dirt,” Gardner said.
Softball’s first matchup comes in the K-Club Classic. IU will play four games against four different opponents, something King said will be challenging.

IU starts the season with Jacksonville State on Saturday, a team who went 43-16 last year and made it to the NCAA tournament.

Two-and-a-half hours later, the Hoosiers will play against South Dakota State, a much easier team with last year’s record of 10-41.

“These next few days will be a building block for the team’s future,” Gardner said.
On Sunday the Hoosiers will have two games starting with Wright State at 10 a.m. and Kennesaw State at 12:30 p.m.

“I think it’s an honor to step on that mound, be given a ball and wear the uniform,” said Olson. “I’m very excited to get to do that every day.”