sports women's basketball

Without Chaplin, Hoosiers try to rebound

IU women’s basketball coach Felisha Legette-Jack has described defense as her team’s game.

The Hoosiers (9-7, 2-3) look to prove that identity even further, as they play host to a heavy-shooting Michigan team at 7 p.m. today in Assembly Hall.

Legette-Jack said that with the Wolverines (10-6, 2-4), IU can expect to see “threes go up in the air.”

“They’re a great shooting team,” she said. “They have three young ladies in the top-20 in our conference in three-point shot attempts and percentage, so we’re going to have to guard the three-point line in order to
be successful.”

Two of those players, junior guard Veronica Hicks and sophomore guard/forward Carmen Reynolds, rank sixth and ninth, respectively, in the Big Ten in 3-point field goals made.

Junior forward Hope Elam said IU has been preparing to guard against teams that like to take the long shots.

“We did a pretty good job in practice of defending at the three,” she said. “I feel like if we just get stops by their guards, we’ll be fine.”

Elam and the other front-court players have seen their roles increase recently as the Hoosiers have been without their top rebounder, freshman forward Sasha Chaplin, for the last two games.

“I think I speak for myself and the two other post players that we have to step it up a little more now that Sasha’s out because she was significantly a part of our post presence,” Elam said.

Chaplin has averaged 7.3 rebounds in her 14 games this season.

Legette-Jack added that she would rather see the remaining forwards produce rather than adjust game plans without Chaplin.

“I’ve challenged our power forwards,” she said. “They’ve got to show up a little bit more, and we’ve got to get more rebounds from them. They’ve got to be a little bit more confrontational on the rebounding aspect. We see that our forwards can score; they’ve got to be willing to take more shots.”

IU will also look for shots from its guards, especially leading scorers junior Jori Davis and senior Jamie Braun.

Braun comes off her second double-double of the season in an overtime loss at Penn Stateon Jan. 10, as well as a furious late-game scoring tear to lead the Hoosiers against Illinois on Jan. 7.

Braun said her teammates could count on her to do it again if necessary.

“I just think it helps them know that I’m here now to take the shots that I’m supposed to take,” she said. “I think they know that I’m here, and I’m ready to help our team win.”

Legette-Jack said it was great to see the team’s lone senior carry IU to a win.

“It’s great to see that Jamie’s having a lot more fun playing the game again,” she said. “She’s now understanding that it’s not always about making the shot, you’ve got to take the shot. We expect you to take them, and we’ll rally behind you, good, bad or indifferent. She understands her role on our team.”

The Hoosiers also hope to “Pack the Hall” today by selling out the game.

“We’re really excited about our 2,000 fans that come on a constant basis, but it really would be nice to match what the Big Ten shows us,” Legette-Jack said. “Our hope is that we can really bring in our Hoosier nation and bring it up to five or 6,000.

“I just believe that when you have your fans cheering for you, it takes you to a (new) level.”