sports women's basketball

IU welcomes stingy Wisconsin

Striving for more defensive consistency has been a recurring theme for the IU women’s basketball team this season.

Expect more of the same this week.

The Hoosiers (11-9, 4-5) have focused extensively on defense in practice as they prepare to battle Wisconsin at 7 p.m. today in Assembly Hall.

The team saw an increased need to improve defensively following its 70-56 loss at Michigan on Sunday.

“We’ve got to take defense more serious,” IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said.
She said the Hoosiers were able to work on defense during practice Tuesday.

“We paid a serious price – we practiced without basketballs for the first hour so that we can understand that defense is what we believe in.

“We can score baskets, but when we stop playing defense, we start watching and getting on our heels and now we question our shots. That’s when we end up with 56 points versus a team on the road.”

Legette-Jack added because the team lacks a true defensive leader, senior guard Jamie Braun and junior guard Jori Davis have to step up in that area to complement their scoring.

“I just think the world of Jamie Braun and Jori Davis,” she said, “but it doesn’t matter what I think if we don’t get out there and win basketball games and make it happen for ourselves. They have to give us more rebounds; they have to give us more assists. ... They’ve got to do it all.”

Davis agreed and said offense was “the last thing on my mind right now.”

“That’s pretty much it,” she said. “Defense and communication have been the keys we need to win this next game.”

That next game could be another big challenge for the young Hoosiers.

The Badgers (15-5, 5-4) enter Thursday’s game tied for third in the Big Ten and lead the conference in scoring defense, allowing just 52.3 points per game.

“They are an unbelievable defensive team,” Legette-Jack said. “They are relentless when it comes to the defensive side. It’s going to take every ounce of everybody on our team to hold a good Wisconsin team down.”

Wisconsin has relied on two strong post players, forwards Tara Steinbauer and Lin Zastrow, to power its defense to one of the nation’s best.

Junior guard Alyssa Karel leads the team in scoring, averaging 13.9 points per game.
Senior point guard Rae Lin D’Alie has facilitated the Badgers’ offense with 7.4 point and 2.9 assists per game.

IU’s own point guard, junior Whitney Lindsay, said her defensive role is crucial for success.

“The more pressure you put on the ball up top, the harder it’s going to be for the guards to be able to see their post players underneath,” she said. “That’s why my job is so important. I’ve got to bring the energy. I have to spark that flare on defense.”