sports men's soccer

New IU soccer coach choice draws near

For the past six years, Mike Freitag was the king of IU soccer.

Two weeks after IU Athletics announced Freitag’s contract would not be renewed, the throne of the seven-star program remains empty.

But it's close to being filled.

“It’s a matter of days, not weeks,” Athletics Director Fred Glass said. “My hope is that we can finish the part of the process we’re in now, which will include me circling back and talking to all the other people who talked to these three candidates and then with the benefit of that council making the decision, because ultimately the decision will be mine.”

Recently, the Bloomington Herald-Times reported University of Illinois-Chicago coach John Trask, Wisconsin coach Todd Yeagley and University of Alabama at Birmingham coach Mike Getman - all former IU players  - were the three men being interviewed as Freitag’s successor.

Glass wouldn't confirm the report, but he acknowledged having a former Hoosier is a top priority.

“It’s not a secret that I’ve only reached out to Indiana University soccer alums because we are fortunate that multiple programs are headed by outstanding coaches who played at Indiana University,” Glass said. “We have the luxury perhaps unlike any other university to limit our search to those kinds of people. I think that says a lot about the legacy of Indiana University soccer.”

That legacy is built on seven national championships, 17 College Cup appearances and the most NCAA tournament appearances with 34. Although Freitag was a product of Indiana soccer for over 20 years, Glass said he did not feel that sticking within the IU soccer family for the selection of the next coach will hurt the program.

“Indiana University soccer is the kind of program where…you don’t sit back and see sort of who is interested or who is at a good time in life or this or that," he said. "You go out after who you want. We really looked at these coaches not just because they were from Indiana University but because when you look at the very best and the up-and-comers, they’re Indiana University guys.”