sports men's soccer

Senior Yeagle won't go out without a fight

NCAA2

Flashback to early September 2006.

Sprinting through a Tulsa defensive line, then-freshman Darren Yeagle netted the golden goal for an IU overtime victory.

Progress forward two weeks.

Yeagle is encircled by Akron defenders, but that doesn’t stop the dominant freshman from obtaining possession of a rebounded roller, storming forward and firing a goal from 20 yards out to solidify a win against Butler.

Flash forward three years and two months.

The Louisville-native takes revenge on his hometown team, scoring two goals in 30 minutes to move IU to the second round of the NCAA tournament.

In the last three years, Yeagle has seen all sides of the soccer ball. Two knee surgeries and a year and four months of recovery later, the senior is finally back where he belongs, scoring goals on Jerry Yeagley Field.

“I’m awfully proud of Darren,” IU coach Mike Freitag said. “Darren is a young man that came in and had some success his freshman year and then his knee injury set him back and he’s fought back to get back to the player we know he is … good ol’ Smiley.”

"Smiley," as he’s known to his teammates for the infectious grin, led the team his freshman year with seven goals, earning Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors. Then came a game during the spring season of his sophomore year where Yeagle tore his lateral meniscus and ACL in his left knee.

Cleared for play four months later, Yeagle came out and tore his ACL again along with his medial meniscus.

“It was difficult,” Yeagle said. “I’ve never had a serious injury until my knee. … It was definitely hard physically and mentally.”

After a stellar freshman year, the forward finished his sophomore year with four shot attempts.

“You definitely see him struggle and the disappointment from the injury and then having to rehab two times,” senior Eric Alexander said. “You can see how it frustrated him over the past couple years but he’s worked so hard at it and he’s done such a good job at being strict with his rehab program and just staying persistent and willing to put in all the effort to come back.”

However, junior year showed no signs of a quick Yeagle recovery. He had fallen to just one shot for the season. But Yeagle’s shot path has suddenly changed.

“He’s finally come full circle,” Alexander said.

Freitag said he is happy with the senior stance Yeagle has taken.

“He’s stepped up and shown leadership,” Freitag said. “He’s playing as well as he ever has. He’s making things happen and that’s what important at this time of year.”

Yeagle has either scored or assisted on IU’s postseason goals.

“I’m just playing for myself and of course Indiana University,” Yeagle said about his postseason success. “All the seniors, we’ve never won or been to a Final Four. Our class doesn’t want to be that class that’s never been to a Final Four.

“If you look on the field during the games, me, Eric, Lee (Hagedorn) and Ofori (Sarkodie) lead by example because we know what it’s like to almost be there and to not get there. We, for sure, want to get to the Final Four and win a national championship. That’s our goal.”

Freitag has also seen a change in the senior’s outlook.

“'Smiley,' I think has just decided I’m going for broke. I’m not worrying about anything, whether I’m starting or not starting,” Freitag said. “He loves IU soccer and he’s playing for the cause.”

Yeagle’s cause is propelled by the past coaches and trainers who said he would never be the same.

“I just decided to stick with it and I wanted to keep playing,” Yeagle said. “It was my choice. I’m just thankful for being able to play because when I was out for a year and six months I was just still upset to know, ‘What if I can never play soccer again because it’s been a part of my life since I was a little kid.’ I’m just glad to be out there even just kicking the ball. I’m just always happy when I’m on the soccer field.”