women's basketball

Enterline sisters take dramatic seasons in stride

Despite multiple coaching changes, injuries, players still love time at IU

Leah Enterline

IU sophomore forward Lindsay Enterline and former IU player Leah Enterline both faced their share of drama while at IU.

For Leah Enterline, it was the fact that she had to endure playing for three different coaches in her final three years at IU.

These events were set into motion in March 2005 when former Athletics Director Rick Greenspan fired then-women’s basketball coach Kathi Bennet after a 10-18 season.

IU proceeded to hire Sharon Versyp, a Purdue graduate who instantly turned the IU program around as they finished 19-13 during Leah Enterline’s junior season.

Just when the IU program appeared to be in good hands, however, a series of unforeseen events occurred after the season. Longtime Purdue coach Kristi Curry left to go to Texas Tech, creating an opening in West Lafayette. Versyp decided to move north and fill the vacancy for the Boilermakers after just one season with the Hoosiers.

IU then had its second vacancy in two seasons, which was eventually filled by current IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack, who was Leah Enterline’s coach during her senior season.

Leah Enterline said she was able to take the turnover in stride and turn it into a positive.

“Every player dreams of playing four years under the same coach with the same philosophy,” she said. “I look at my experience, though, as one that not too many people have the opportunity to go through, and I liked different things about each staff I played for.”

Now, fast forward to this season.

The younger Enterline, Lindsay, has faced a different kind of obstacle. During practice, a freak play occurred that led to a season-ending ACL injury.

“I just drove the baseline and landed wrong,” Lindsay Enterline said.

However, like her sister, Lindsay Enterline sees this season as an opportunity rather than a loss.

“I can learn from a coach’s perspective while not physically on the court,” she said.

Beyond their play on the court and times at IU, the two sisters have said they are very close. Born in the small town of Monroeville, Ind., the sisters are lifelong Hoosier fans who have enjoyed their experiences in Bloomington.

Overall, Legette-Jack had nothing but good things to say about the siblings.

“(Lindsay Enterline) is a great young lady who has gotten the short end of the stick but is an amazing, resilient kid,” Legette-Jack said. “Leah was a great point guard, but they both are the toughest, most giving and compassionate people I have coached.

“I am grateful to have had them.”