Top football recruit Jibreel Black decommits

Jibreel Black

Jibreel Black, a defensive end from Wyoming, Ohio and the top IU recruit for next season, has switched his commitment from IU to the University of Cincinnati.

Jibreel Black, the brother of current freshman starting defensive tackle Larry Black, is a four-star recruit on Scout.com and a three-star recruit by Rivals.com.

“I have been thinking about the decision for the past two weeks,” Jibreel Black said. “I just really wanted to do something that was in my heart from the start, and that was to attend the University of Cincinnati.”

Black is 6 feet 3 inches, 253 pounds and possesses the pass-rushing ability to get to the opposing quarterback.

He said when originally considering schools, he chose IU before Cincinnati, Michigan, Michigan State and Kentucky.

John Decker, editor of Scout’s IU affiliate Hoosier Nation, said the departure has a major impact on the 2010 IU recruiting class.

He also said that because of the early success of his brother Larry Black, who was ranked lower than his younger brother when he was in high school, Jibreel Black has a nearly high potential once he reaches the college ranks.

“Anybody would say that he was the marquee guy in the class,” Decker said. “They have some needs on the defensive line, losing (IU senior defensive ends) Greg Middleton and Jammie Kirlew, so now the challenge is that they make sure that he is the only one that this happens with. It’s a big loss.”

Cincinnati (7-0) is currently ranked No. 5 in The Associate Press poll and No. 8 in the Bowl Champion Series Standings. IU is 4-4 and coming off a 29-28 loss to Northwestern on Saturday.

Jibreel Black said his decision to decommit from IU in favor of  Cincinnati was partially based on the current status of both programs.

“I would be lying to tell you it didn’t,” Jibreel Black said. “The past is what you have as an indicator of the future. I told coach Lynch I was thankful for everything he did for me, but I think I will have a better opportunity at the University of Cincinnati right now than I do at IU.”

Wyoming High School football coach Bernie Barre said the choice was not easy.

“I think the more he thought about it, the more he thought, ‘This was not what I wanted to do,’” Barre said. “Obviously he has a great deal of respect for coach Lynch and the IU coaching staff, but he felt like going to the University of Cincinnati would be best for him.”

Jibreel Black said he spoke with his brother before making the final decision.

“I talked to him to let him know,” Jibreel Black said. “He said, ‘Do what is best for you. Whatever fits you, do it.’ I did what I felt was best for me.”