IU faces undefeated Iowa

Football

If IU’s game at Iowa this Saturday is a David vs. Goliath showdown, then Goliath has a few kinks in his armor.

In fact, the unbeatable giant has barely avoided many stones already slung by weaker opponents this year.

An unthinkable Hoosier upset would just be the knockout sling.

Iowa has an 8-0 record, a No. 7 Associated Press ranking and a No. 4 Bowl Championship Series ranking, but the Hawkeyes have trailed in all but one of their games this season.

Iowa defeated two Football Championship Subdivision opponents by a combined four points and needed a last-second touchdown to escape Michigan State this past week.

Hawkeye coach Kirk Ferentz admits his team isn’t dominating any of its opponents.

“I don’t know that our team is fragile,” Ferentz said. “We are just getting it done, but that’s the bottom line. That’s what you get measured on. You wonder how many cracks in the dike you can handle, but the players keep playing. They are doing a great job.”

Iowa’s biggest flaw this entire season has been in its offensive production. The team is tied with IU at eighth in the Big Ten in scoring production, averaging just 23.6 points per game. Iowa does not have a healthy running back or wide receiver ranked in the conference’s top-10 rushing or receiving yards, either.

The offensive struggles have led to close games against teams Iowa was expected to dominate. In the first week, the team needed to block two field goals in the final minute against Northern Iowa to secure a one-point win. Four weeks later, Iowa staved off Arkansas State in the final two minutes to win 24-21.

Last week, Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi threw a 7-yard touchdown pass to Marvin McNutt on the final play of the game to lead his team to a 15-13 victory against a 4-4 Michigan State team.

Despite the flaws, Iowa has yet to lose this season. Stanzi said the team doesn’t need to be flashy.

“We’re not trying to be the prettiest car,” Stanzi said. “We’re just trying to win ball games, if that means a close game or if we’re able to get a big win.”

Iowa wins by an average 8.9 points per game – the other four teams in the top five of the BCS standings defeat their opponents by at least 16 points per game.

Stanzi has produced consistent, yet average, numbers this season. He ranks third in the conference in touchdowns, but also has thrown eight interceptions – fourth-worst in the Big Ten.

IU senior linebacker Matt Mayberry said the Iowa offense deserves respect,
especially Stanzi.

“They talked about him at the beginning of the season with his ups and downs and making some mistakes, but he’s leading the team,” Mayberry said. “They’re 8-0 right now, so you can’t really say nothing bad about him.”

The kinks in the Iowa armor grew larger this week when two offensive starters went out with injuries.

The team’s leading rusher, Adam Robinson, suffered a high ankle sprain that will sideline him for the rest of the season. Offensive lineman Dace Richardson broke a bone in his right leg that will force him to miss four to six weeks.

Ferentz said he understands his team’s position, even with the injuries, offensive production and too-close-for-comfort games.

“Yeah, we are not the most gifted team,” Ferentz said, adding that his players won’t be “winning track meets at the (scouting) combine.” However, he said their record speaks for itself.

“But the guys have played well and played together through tough situations, whether it be injuries or other younger players stepping up and then through tough situations,” Ferentz said.