sports women's basketball

Indiana women set NCAA bid as this season's goal

BLOOMINGTON — Indiana couldn't get a break this offseason.

After missing the NCAA tournament, three starters graduated. This fall, sophomore forward Lindsay Enterline tore the anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee.

Now, coach Felisha Legette-Jack and the Hoosiers are back in Bloomington, plotting more fun.

"We learned that you don't want to put your future in the hands of others," Legette-Jack said. "When you're on the fence, it can go either way."

The Hoosiers learned that lesson the hard way after going 21-11 last season and then getting snubbed by the NCAA tourney.

This time, players and coaches don't intend to leave anything to chance.

And Legette-Jack does have a solid team back despite the losses. Gone is Whitney Thomas, who finished her career by topping 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds; all-conference defensive stalwart Kim Roberson; and forward Amber Jackson, the Hoosiers' top scorer at 12.8 points per game in 2008-09.

But it's not as if Legette-Jack is in full rebuilding mode.

She has hard-nosed guard Jamie Braun, who scored 12.7 points and earned all-conference honors last season, and junior guard Jori Davis, who averaged nearly 12 points per game last season, too.

Neither wants to settle for another WNIT appearance.

"Our team goal is to win a championship and get past two games in the Big Ten tournament," Davis said.

Legette-Jack has a whole new perspective with her young roster. Seven players are freshmen or sophomores, and the coach believes each has the ability to help.

Sophomore forward Sasha Chaplin is returning from a season-ending knee injury. Sophomore forward Danilsa Andujar emerged as a key contributor during Indiana's trip to Italy over the summer. Freshman point guard Sasha Bernard could make an immediate impact with her quickness despite being just 5-foot-6. And 6-foot-1 junior college transfer Hope Elam is coming off a season in which she posted averages of 21.2 points and 11 rebounds.

The combination has the Hoosiers' flamboyant coach optimistic that things will be different this season.

"We have that ultimate challenge before us," Legette-Jack said. "But one thing about Indiana is we understand what it means to roll our sleeves up and fight, and every single game that's what you'll see from us is the ultimate fight."

The Hoosiers' first exhibition game is Sunday at home against Lambuth. The Nov. 13 season opener comes on the road at Memphis.