sports women's basketball

Coach Jack says fans realize IU has 2 basketball programs

No lights, a fire extinguisher, two wagons of fireworks and a crowd of more than 13,000 helped jumpstart the 2009-10 women’s basketball season. 

With Assembly Hall immersed in darkness, the team ran onto Branch McCracken Court amid a fireworks show. The sparklers, a new addition to Hoosier Hysteria, were part of an idea the players had.

Normally, IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack  would put together the introduction or come up with ideas. But this year, the players got creative. 

Junior guard Jori Davis said she asked the event planners about the fireworks and that she was excited about how open they were about the new tradition. The team also had a video playing while they ran onto the court. 

The fireworks pumped up the fans who attended, as well as the freshman players. For freshman forward Aulani Sinclair, it was the first time playing in Assembly Hall with fans. 

Sinclair, who said she attended prior Hoosier Hysteria events when she was younger, said she thought about how amazing going to IU would be because she always loved the school.

“It’s just a dream come true to be able to be in this atmosphere,” Sinclair said.
As far as playing in front of so many Hoosier fans, Sinclair described the energy as amazing, and she said the Hoosiers could benefit from having that at their games.  
“Hopefully, the people out here that came and watched tonight have seen our passion and all of the energy that we have,” Sinclair said. “Hopefully they’ll come to more of our games.” 

Before the women took the court for their first official practice of the year, the team signed autographs. Davis said this opportunity allowed them to come in close contact with their fans, in particular their young female fans, which Davis appreciated. 

While on the court, the team did a few layup drills and a shoot-around but did not scrimmage. There was also a 3-point contest involving both the men and women’s teams, which allowed the players to engage in some friendly competition.

Even though it was only a contest, a few players, including Davis, took it seriously.
Davis said she wanted to beat Sinclair in the contest because Sinclair is the 3-point specialist on the team.

“The other day in practice I was like, ‘I’m going to beat you. Better watch out, freshman,’”  Davis said.

The atmosphere and attendance motivated the always-hyped Legette-Jack.

“We’re so excited about the fact that you know, slowly but surely, the fans are starting to realize that there are two basketball programs here,” Legette-Jack said.

Even though in the past the women’s team  has not had the attendance the men’s team boasts, Legette-Jack said the team will not do promotions to put fans in the seats, but instead will continue with the same plans she has used for the past three years: playing good basketball.

Legette-Jack said every time she enters Assembly Hall, she has a vision of the program’s future.  

“I see, every day I go in this gym, 17,000 people rooting for women’s basketball,” Legette-Jack said. “I have to see that, and I have to believe that with all my spirit, and one day it’s going to come.”