sports men's soccer

Todd Yeagley reflects on time at IU, father’s role in men’s soccer success

Todd Yeagley, son of former IU men’s soccer coach Jerry Yeagley, may not wear cream and crimson as the coach of Wisconsin men’s soccer, but he said his time spent as a Hoosier has affected his life forever.

IDS: What is it like to be the son of the IU men’s soccer creator? 

Yeagley:
I’m thrilled that I was able to see it and live it. It’s an unbelievable childhood – growing up and seeing a dynasty being created, knowing the players that were a part of it and to see the details that go into it and the behind-the-scenes. I cherish those times. I’m absolutely thrilled to be a part of what he
was able to build, and a lot of that was the great people that he had around him.

IDS:
What is IU soccer to you?

Yeagley: IU soccer has been the premier program in college soccer. When people refer to the program, that’s what everyone looks at. Due to the fact of not only the national championships – that are second to St. Louis – but it’s the consistency and the amount of success in the tournament. Coaches know how difficult that is to sustain and, therefore, it’s the benchmark that everyone looks at. To be a part of that and to see that develop, it was a great experience and one that I will always cherish.

IDS: What does it take to be a champion?

Yeagley: It takes a lot of good players. You have to have the talent, and then you have to have a lot of other pieces that come with it – the right chemistry with your team, the right staff, the right support around you. If you can put all those things together and the players believe in what you’re doing, then a lot of things
can happen.

IDS: What do the seven national championships and 17 college cups say about this program?

Yeagley: It’s the pinnacle of its sport. That is something that only a few programs across different sports can claim – the significance of success that IU soccer has had. You just think of excellence when you think of IU soccer. It’s a special program and one that I expect to continue to have great success through the years.