Quiet man off the field, Patterson is ‘tenacious’ on it

Jay Seawell • IDS
Oklahoma State freshman wide receiver Dez Bryant runs past IU linebacker Will Patterson during the Insight Bowl Monday evening at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz. Oklahoma State won 49-33.

Don’t let the deep, quiet voice of IU senior linebacker Will Patterson fool you.

He’s one of the most tenacious players on the roster – just ask IU senior cornerback Nick Polk.

“As far as tackling, he is a great hitter,” said Polk, a former wide receiver, said. “His hips are really strong, and once he hits you, you’re going to feel it.” 

In 2008, the Hoosiers ranked last in total defense in the Big Ten and 107th in the nation. 

But this season is a different story.

IU has the No. 4 defense in the conference and is in the Big Ten’s top-3 teams for red zone defense, sacks, rushing defense and turnover margin.

Now fully recovered from knee injury last season and a wrist injury in the spring, Patterson has been a major contributor to those areas.

“He is everything you are looking for in a football player,” IU coach Bill Lynch said. “He is one of those guys that doesn’t say a lot, but you can tell that the players really follow him. He is also a very good player.

“The combination of the two make him an excellent leader, and he is really important to our defense.”

Not only does he lead the Hoosiers with 16 tackles, but Patterson also made one of the biggest defensive plays of the young season against Eastern Kentucky on Sept. 3.   

On the Colonels’ first drive of the game, Patterson broke free from his opposing offensive lineman and came after EKU quarterback Cody Watts with all he had.

He ended up sacking Watts in the end zone for a safety and gave the Hoosiers a 2-0 lead early in the first quarter. IU eventually won by a mere six points, 19-13.

Patterson said there are three aspects of his game that have led to success on the field.

“My leadership, speed and passion for playing football,” Patterson said. “I try to make others feel what I feel for the game.”

While Patterson is a presence on the field, his leadership qualities are what truly set him apart.

Polk said Patterson was the player most responsible for getting teammates in the weight room and for seven-on-seven drills during the team’s winter conditioning.

He also is influential in the locker room – especially for the younger players.

“If somebody is going to step up, it’s going to be Will,” Polk said of speaking to the team. “If someone says something right before him, he is going to have something to add, and it’s always useful. He’s a little bit intimidating with his size and deep voice, but off the field he does a great job.”

IU co-defensive coordinator Joe Palcic echoed the Polk’s sentiments.

“Before you even start to talk about him as a football player, you have to talk about him as a person,” Palcic said of Patterson. “He is a very high-character kid who provides great leadership. He doesn’t say a lot, but when he does, people listen.”