Lynch: ‘They’re ready’

Traditions and Spirit of IU

The new u-shaped Memorial Stadium is ready to go and so are the players.

The IU football team will play Eastern Kentucky at 8 p.m. today in its renovated home football stadium to open the 2009 season.

“I think we were ready a week ago,” senior defensive end Jammie Kirlew said.

Senior running back Bryan Payton said he wants to play the Eastern Kentucky Colonels because they won’t be wearing cream or crimson.

“I’m sick of looking at the same old defense,” Payton said.

Entering its 125th football season, the IU football team is anxious to rebound from its 3-9 record last season. IU football coach Bill Lynch said he hopes to see a
difference in the first game.

“Until you play a game, you don’t really know,” Lynch said about expectations for the team.

IU’s first test will be taking on a team that has not had a losing season in 31 years. Eastern Kentucky also hasn’t had a sub-500 season since 1976. They compete in the Football Championship Subdivision, also known as Division-I-AA.

Only Florida State (32) has had more consecutive winning seasons. The Colonels have won two consecutive Ohio Valley Conference championships.

The Hoosiers will be EKU’s first-ever Big Ten opponent.

Recent history has been favorable for IU in home openers. The team has won seven opening games in a row, dominating its last two opening opponents – Indiana State and Western

Kentucky – by a combined 86-20.

However, Lynch said EKU offers a challenge for his team.

“They know how to win,” Lynch said. “They’ve had 31 straight winning seasons, and that doesn’t happen by accident.”

While the team prepares for its opponent, Lynch said he is also interested in his own team’s performance. He mentioned after Monday’s practice how college football is unique in having no preseason scrimmages against other schools or exhibition games to prepare the team.

“First time we go out to play, it’s for real,” Lynch said.

IU will use its new pistol offense this season and will have a clear starting quarterback in junior Ben Chappell.

The offense, featuring Chappell in a mini-shotgun formation, will allow the team to utilize its depth at the running back position. Seniors Payton and Demetrius McCray, junior Trea Burgess and freshmen Darius Willis will share time lined up behind Chappell during the game.

“In the opener, you’re so concerned about yourself – making sure you play well, making sure you’re prepared and for all the situations that may come up in the game,” Lynch said.

Senior safety Austin Thomas is hoping his final season with the team will not be similar to the 2008 season. He said the team’s goals are high going into the opener.

“We’re just going to take the 2009 season another step, to get to where we want to be, which is, of course, on top,” Thomas said.