sports men's soccer

IU downs New Mexico 3-2

IU-New Mexico Soccer

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — In his 61 minutes of play, senior Lee Hagedorn helped the team to victory with a goal and an assist in the No. 12 Hoosiers' 3-2 win over New Mexico.

The Hoosiers and the Lobos played a virtually uneventful first half, with only two and three shots taken respectively.

“Overall, I think everyone from the coaches to the players were a little disappointed in how we played today,” he said. “We were happy we ended up getting a win and we fought hard when we got down, but we definitely let a couple goals go in that shouldn’t have gone in.”

Indiana walks away with their first win of the season. But New Mexico was able to break the Hoosier defense that Freitag has been so adamant about building up when two goals got past redshirt freshman Luis Soffner.

However, goalie Soffner had more action in the box then his past two starts, with three saves in the first and four in the second.

Regardless of sophomore Will Bruin and redshirt sophomore Alex Purdie’s goals, the Hoosiers play was not what Coach Freitag & Co. are accustomed to Hagedorn said.

“We got to learn how to adapt to different team’s style of play,” Hagedorn said. “They made it hard for us to play in the middle so we have to learn maybe how to get the ball out wide sometimes.”

The cream and crimson take the field again on Sunday at 11 a.m. EST against Seattle University to end their run in South Bend.

“We just got to be smarter defensively,” Hagedorn said. “We made a couple dumb mistakes. A dumb mistake led to another dumb mistake. It was a couple things, just not just one person.”