Hoosiers' tough game ends with same sunken feeling

Ann Arbor, Mich. — The history between IU and Michigan has given Hoosier followers a sixth sense.

In the midst of an exciting Week 4 contest, there was simply a feeling IU would let a victory against the Wolverines slip away.  

Hearts sunk, stomachs tightened and pure joy after a big touchdown was quickly overtaken by sheer panic when Michigan got the ball back.  

Then, the prophecy of every IU fan with the slightest bit of pessimism came true: The Hoosiers lost 36-33 to the Wolverines.  

But it wasn’t the way they’ve grown accustomed to doing so.  

Rather than being the recipient of a thumping, the Hoosiers’ first win in Michigan Stadium since 1967 and their first 4-0 start since 1990 slipped from their hands on Saturday like a weathered bar of soap.  

This time, the Hoosiers didn’t let Michigan fans resume tailgating before the game ended, but just like every time since 1987, the Michigan faithful hit the parking lots after a victory.  

If stat sheets could talk, however, they would tell you IU had won.

The Hoosiers played their best game against Michigan in history, scoring more points and racking up more yards than they ever have against the Wolverines.  

Freshman running back Darius Willis, with 16 rushes for 154 yards and two touchdowns, had a game that will be tough to top in his remaining years at IU.

And the defense, much maligned last year for allowing too many yards on the ground, held the nation’s seventh-best rushing offense to 149 yards.  

However, none of it was good enough to beat Michigan.  

During their historic game, IU coach Bill Lynch pulled out all the stops to take down their Goliath.  

The Hoosiers, lined up in a “Little Giants”-esque formation, furthered the implementation of junior wide receiver Mitchell Evans running the pistol, and sent some exotic blitzes at freshman quarterback Tate Forcier.

The Hoosiers may have shocked the world with how well they played, but they only shocked themselves as they left the field with a loss. Every IU player knew they were good enough to beat Michigan, but the odds-makers didn’t agree. The Wolverines entered the “Big House” as 21-point favorites Saturday, and the Hoosiers were on a mission to prove them wrong.

It was nearly accomplished, but aborted in their most desperate hour.  

In the final quarter, IU had the ball for only 3:24, and not much good came from the finite amount of time.

Aside from an 85-yard gallop to the end zone by Willis, the longest by an IU player since 1977, Michigan owned the fourth quarter. In the Hoosiers’ three-and-a-half minutes of ball possession, they gave up their only sack and had their only turnover.  

The turnover, an interception with 2:14 remaining in the game, was questionable at best, as it appeared to everyone but the officials that there was dual possession – a ruling that would have allowed IU to keep the ball.  

However, as anyone involved with the team will tell you, it’s a moot point.  

With one touchdown in the red zone instead of a field goal, the headlines would read much differently.  

Still, Saturday’s ending gave IU fans the same sunken feeling they have had to endure for 60 weekends, but it also gives hope to a doomed-from-the-start season.  

By nearly beating Michigan, the Hoosiers show they are one play away from beating teams no one thinks they should, and next week’s matchup with Ohio State screams underdog for IU.  

It’s still a long shot for IU to knock off the Buckeyes on Saturday, but IU proved to everyone what it had been preaching all summer.

These are not the same old Hoosiers.