Concert to celebrate Judy Garland’s legacy

She wore ruby-red slippers and traveled to Oz, but instead of going back to Kansas, she’s arrived in Indiana.  

IU’s Hoosier Musical Production  aims to pay tribute to Judy Garland  8 p.m. on Sunday in the Frangipani Room at the Indiana Memorial Union. Tickets are $10 with valid student ID and doors open at 7:30 p.m.

The concert, “Remembering Judy Garland,” distinguishes her life and career through special musical selections performed by students in the production group.

The Hollywood actress is most remembered for her role as Dorothy in the 1939 classic “The Wizard of Oz” and garnered national acclaim for her vocals in the film’s leading song, “Over the Rainbow.”

Audiences can expect to enjoy musical stylings that chronicle Garland’s prestigious career, beginning with “Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart,” her first audition song with MGM Studios. 

This will be followed by other favorites including “Get Happy,” “The Man That Got Away” and more.

“Proceeds from the concert will benefit the Hoosier Musical Production in its upcoming season,” said Executive Director Jon Lerner, who established the organization for student performers.

“We are an additional outlet for acting students not majoring in the theater and drama department here on campus,” Lerner said, adding that the organization is open to all students.
Lerner said he grew up watching Garland as Dorothy and knew she would appeal to a wide range of audiences.
He said it was her contributions to both music and film that influenced him to have the concert in her honor.