sports women's basketball

Players continue life in sports after graduation

IU-Penn State women's basketball

Amber Jackson has always loved traveling.

Born in Japan to a military family, she spent time living in the Philippines and also visited Guam and Mexico.

“I’ve always had an urge to travel the world,” Jackson said. “I love learning about and being immersed in different cultures.”  

The former Hoosier forward is now set to take on Spain. She recently signed a one-year contract to play professional basketball for Club Baloncesto Arxil. 

During her two seasons at IU, Jackson shot 51.9 percent from the field and 70.9 percent at the free-throw line. She transferred from San Jose State after her sophomore year. 

IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack describes Jackson as a “finisher” and said the quicker pace will benefit Jackson because she scores a lot and runs the floor well. 

Legette-Jack is confident in Jackson’s ability, saying Jackson is “absolutely ready to conquer the world.” 

Jackson displayed this by discussing her goals for her season in Spain. Jackson said she ultimately wants to help Club Baloncesto Arxil make the playoffs.

“Winning is always important,” she said. “I definitely do not plan on having a losing season.” 

The team’s early interest and her sister, Angela, influenced Jackson’s choice to play for the Spanish club.

Angela Jackson also played professional basketball overseas and got her start in Spain. Amber Jackson said she wanted to play in either Greece or France, but her sister’s persistence eventually sold her on playing in Spain.

Jackson is not the only senior from last season’s squad who will continue to play basketball. Kim Roberson, IU’s all-time career steals leader, signed a five-year deal with Samsung Life Bichumi in South Korea.

Roberson said she chose to play in South Korea because it is her mother’s native country and playing there would allow her to become reacquainted with her mother’s side of the family, which she has only met once.

Roberson said she is working on learning the language and traditions of South Korea.
“It is half of who I am,” she said.  

Playing for Samsung Life Bichumi worked out well for Roberson because she was unable to try out for the WNBA due to hand surgery. By the time Roberson had recovered, the WNBA season’s May 21 start had already passed.

Although she can’t currently play in the WNBA, Roberson plans to succeed while in South Korea.

“My goals are simple,” she said. “Do my best and help out the team in doing its best.”  
Other seniors from the 2008-09 season may not have signed professional contracts overseas, but they are still doing big things. 

Fifth-year senior Whitney Thomas will take advantage of an NCAA rule allowing an extra year of eligibility in another sport by playing volleyball for the Hoosiers this fall.

Lydia Serfling, a former walk-on and scholarship player, is now working at Penn State as an assistant strength and conditioning coach.