sports women's basketball

Legette-Jack adds former player to coaching staff

IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack has hired Amaka Agugua as assistant coach for the Hoosiers. 

The spot opened when former assistant Marc Wilson’s contract was not renewed.
Legette-Jack and Agugua are already familiar with each other. Legette-Jack coached Agugua from 2001 to 2006 at Hofstra, which included a season in which Agugua missed most of the year because of injury.

Legette-Jack said she enjoyed having Agugua at Hofstra and is thrilled to be working with her again.

“Amaka is a humble person, but she’s a hard worker,” Legette-Jack said in an IU media relations release. “She is a person that played for me at Hofstra, and she totally believed in what we were trying to do when we got to Hofstra.”

As a player, Agugua was known for her jump shot and fierce rebounding ability.
She averaged 10.2 points and six rebounds per game. She is 12th in the history of the program with 568 rebounds and recorded 970 career points.

Her numbers weren’t the only reason Agugua was added to Legette-Jack’s staff. Agugua gained an understanding of what her former coach is trying to accomplish in her four years on the court.

“She became my captain for three years, and all we did was continue to raise the bar there,” Legette-Jack said. “Now, with her joining our staff here at Indiana, our future is bright. And she is a person that understands exactly what I’m looking for as far as work ethic, enthusiasm for the job, recruiting and loyalty.”

Agugua, who will begin her duties for the Hoosiers Monday spent the last three seasons at Virginia Commonwealth. She spent three seasons with the team, one as a graduate assistant and two as an assistant coach.

She helped lead the team to their lone NCAA Tournament appearance in the 2008-09 season.

Agugua will join Legette-Jack, and current assistants Jose Mori and Katie Abrahamson-Henderson for the upcoming season.