sports softball

IU splits two at Penn State

Sophomore pitcher Sara Olson hits the ball April 22 at the IU Softball Field. The last game of the season is a doubleheader against Purdue, at home on May 9, at 1 and 3 p.m.

The Hoosiers (10-37, 4-14) split the weekend’s doubleheader at Penn State (19-25, 7-11).

Capitalizing on Penn State errors in the first game led the Hoosiers to a 4-3 victory. Of the Hoosiers’ four runs, three of them were unearned.

Junior outfielder Jennifer Glueckert went 2-for-4, driving in three runs. Glueckert responded well after IU coach Michelle Gardner inserted her into the No. 3 spot in the lineup.

The Hoosiers got three runs in the third, which was just enough to hold off a late Penn State run.

Sophomore pitcher Sara Olson delivered another complete game, allowing three runs and striking out three. The win improves Olson’s record to 7-13.

The second game was a pitcher’s duel that seemed like it would have a low-scoring result. Instead of the Hoosiers getting a chance to even the score at 2-2 in the seventh, Penn State would increase its lead. Penn State’s offense exploded for seven runs in the bottom of the sixth to end the game, 9-1.

Penn State’s 15 hits in the game all came off of senior pitcher Ashley Hobbs. Hobbs was the Hoosiers’ main source of offense, recording her first career two-hit day.
Next weekend, the Hoosiers will travel to Purdue to finish off the year.