sports baseball

Hoosiers hope for win streak to continue against Spartans

Freshman Blake Monar delivers a pitch against Northwestern on Sunday afternoon at Sembower Field. The Hoosiers defeated the Wildcats 11-2.

Hot with a four-game winning streak, the Hoosiers will welcome a Spartan team that has gone cold with three straight losses.

Beating an Evansville team on the road in extra innings, IU will finish the regular season at home at Sembower Field against Michigan State.

“We have had a lot better (home) crowd because we’re winning,” sophomore outfielder Kipp Schutz said. “Hopefully we’ll have another good crowd. It’ll be some home crowd favor for us.”

The games span from Thursday to Saturday, with a single game per day. Winning these games would put the team in good position to make it into the NCAA Tournament, Schutz said.

Michigan State has a disadvantage on paper with a 22-27 record, compared to IU’s 26-24. But junior pitcher Matt Bashore said he thinks Michigan State will still be a challenge.

“Michigan State has been playing well this year,” he said. “For us to have a good game, we gotta get out there playing to win and have a good series.”

The past four wins and a sweep of the series against Michigan State would give the Hoosiers a push into the Big Ten Tournament.

“It’s always good to have some good momentum going into the Big Ten Tournament,” Bashore said. “Hopefully we can get some good games going.”

With the weekend games deciding whether the Hoosiers will be tied for first or not, IU coach Tracy Smith said success this weekend will be the first step to a trip to the College World Series.

“It’s a chance to play in the College World Series,” Smith said. “You can’t play unless you get to the NCAA Tournament. For us, we can’t get to the NCAAs unless we get into Big Tens.”