sports baseball

Arnett, Phegley named National Award Semifinalists

Junior pitcher Eric Arnett releases a throw during the third inning of a game against Xaver March 26, 2008 at Sembower field. The Hoosiers came from behind to win the game 10-4.

A pair of juniors helped the Hoosiers to their second consecutive Big Ten tournament appearance last week.

Now, the pitcher and catcher duo of Eric Arnett and Josh Phegley have been named national award semifinalists for their on-field help.

Arnett is one of 15 semifinalists for the College Baseball Foundation’s National Pitcher of the Year. One of two pitchers in the Big Ten to be named a semifinalist, Arnett posted a stellar season.

Arnett holds an 11-1 record with 93 Ks and 2.78 ERA.  His strikeouts place him fourth on the single-season list, while his eleven wins are the second-most in school history.
Pitching a perfect conference season for a 2.90 ERA,  his seven Big Ten wins are an IU record. Arnett’s ERA ranks second in the conference to teammate Matt Bashore.

Phegley, also on the semfinalist list with a conference member, is up for the Coleman Company Johnny Bench award is present to the nation’s top catcher. Phegley was named one of 13 semifinalists for the honor.

Hitting 15 longballs a year ago, Phegley brought this year’s total to 17 homers, slotting him sixth on IU’s single season list. Going yard 32 times in his career sets Phegley eight. In the Big Ten’s top 10 in nearly every category, the backstop ranks second in the RBI on the year with 62.

Phegley and Arnett will join the Hoosiers Wendesday when they start their Big Ten Tournament play against Purdue.