sports softball

Pitching duo faces powerful Illini

Sophomore Pitcher Ashley Hobbs winds up April 8 during the first game of a double header agaisnt Ohio State at the IU Softball Field. Indiana lost the first game 14-4, and the second 1-0.

Senior Ashley Hobbs and sophomore Sara Olson have combined for three straight gems from the mound for the Hoosiers (7-28, 3-7).

With a double header at Illinois (22-12, 5-4) tonight, the pitching duo will look to make it five.

Hobbs is coming off of her best outing of the year, where she fanned 15 at Michigan State to lead the Hoosiers to a 5-2 victory.

After starting the season at 1-9, Hobbs said she believes she got what she had been missing all season in Sunday’s performance.

“It was the first time I found my rise ball all season, so it was nice to find that again,” Hobbs said.

Hobbs and Olson have two different styles on the mound, which could result in problems for Illinois similar to those Michigan State experienced last weekend.

The Illini are led by their catalyst at the top of the order, sophomore second baseman Danielle Zymkowitz.

She is hitting .444 on the year and is 18-for-18 in stolen base attempts.

The one usually advancing Zymkowitz on the base path is sophomore outfielder Hollie Pinchback. Coming off a 5-for-5 game in the Illini’s 17-15 loss to Ohio State, Pinchback will also be dangerous when she faces IU.

Hobbs said the IU pitchers will have less room for error in their clash with Illinois’ hitting.

“(Against Michigan State) I could still miss spots but it wouldn’t hurt as bad,” Hobbs said. “Little misses against Illinois result in balls over the fence.”