sports softball

IU goes 2-1 in Northwestern weekend series

IU (5-26, 1-5) appeared to be outmatched by No. 8 Northwestern (22-7, 8-0) going into Saturday’s doubleheader.

While the Hoosiers lost 3-1 in the first game, they showed no signs of bowing down to the defending Big Ten Champions.

The Wildcats maintained a 1-0 lead, and the Hoosiers failed to register a hit until the sixth inning. Senior shortstop Emily Bergeson continued her streak of clutch hitting, tying the game in the top of the sixth with a solo home run. The home run was the Hoosiers’ only hit of the game.

“I’ve been very pleased with the way she’s been playing,” IU coach Michelle Gardner said. “I feel like she’s been our team leader.”

But Northwestern rallied off a leadoff walk in the bottom of the sixth to score two runs, giving them a 3-1 win.

Sophomore Sara Olson kept the Hoosiers close once again, allowing two earned runs in her six innings of work.

“She really worked the corners well, and she threw good pitches,” Gardner said.

The Hoosiers’ second game of the day was not as close. They fell 8-0 to the Wildcats in five innings. Despite the loss, Gardner continued to stress her team’s near road win against one of the nation’s top teams.

“We had good defense and good pitching,” Gardner said. “But you can’t have one hit against the No. 8 team in the country.”