sports men's soccer

Hoosiers tie in 2 scoreless games

Junior Darren Yeagle avoids a defender during IU's 0-0 tie with the Cincinnati Bearcats on Wednesday evening at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers play their next game April 18 in Fort Wayne against Akron.

They looked like a splatter of ketchup with a small dab of mustard. A huddle of red jerseys, except for freshman goalkeeper Luis Soffner in yellow, gathered on the field before their second game of the night.

Only 15 minutes divided Wednesday’s two matches for the IU men’s soccer team, which tied Cincinnati, 0-0, and returned to the field to tie IUPUI, also nil-nil.

IU’s scoreless match against the Bearcats featured few shots, but the team still had reasons to be optimistic for next season.

Freshman forward Will Bruin tallied three shots on goal, while Cincinnati goalkeeper Miguel Rosales recorded five saves against the somewhat hesitant IU offense.

Junior defender Lee Hagedorn said the team failed to connect on the few chances it had. IU had 10 shots on goal against Cincinnati, but only eight against IUPUI.

“I thought we created some good chances,” he said. “It’s kind of frustrating because I think we had the better play.”

After regrouping, the team came back for another 60-minute match. The second game featured more inexperienced players, giving Freitag a chance to evaluate.

Alec Purdie, Darren Yeagle, Cameron Jordan and Nick Blevins rarely, if ever, played during the regular season, but have seen considerable minutes during the Hoosiers’ spring matches.

Max Weston, Joe Tolen and Tim Wylie also made appearances against the Jaguars.
“I’ve been waiting a while for my chance,” Purdie said. “Overall it just feels great to just get on the field. Can’t complain.”

Despite the game’s opportunity for younger players, Freitag said he didn’t see much during the match.

“I would’ve liked to see a little more passion,” Freitag said. “I never saw anything special happen.”

The match against IUPUI had several failed corner kicks for IU, which scored mostly from set pieces during the fall season.

The two matches were IU’s last at home for the spring season. Unlike years past, IU will not compete against the Mexican national team due to schedule conflicts. They travel to Fort Wayne on Saturday to take on Akron, whom they tied 0-0 in the regular season.

“I think we’ll have a good outing against Akron,” Freitag said. “The first team’s all together and playing again.”

Hagedorn said the spring season has taught the young team many things, the most important being a strong work ethic.

“So far it’s not going to come easy,” Hagedorn said. “We’ve had teams this past year that had a lot of talent ... We’ve really got to come out and work.”