sports softball

Hoosiers sweep Cardinals in doubleheader

If the Ball State Cardinals were expecting the same Hoosier team they beat in the middle of March, they were clearly mistaken.

The Hoosiers took care of Ball State in both games of a doubleheader Wednesday, winning by scores of 2-1 and 8-0 at the IU Softball Field.

Ball State beat IU 4-1 in March.

“Collectively, that was definitely one of our best games,” senior shortstop Emily Bergeson said after the second game.

Bergeson provided the Hoosiers with their only hits in the first game (2-for-3) and scored the game-winning run in the fifth inning.

Bergeson’s offensive efforts were more than enough for sophomore pitcher Sarah Olson.

Olson pitched a complete game, allowing one run on three hits. The win improves Olson’s record to 6-10 with a 2.92 ERA.

The second game featured another dominant Hoosier pitching performance, this time from Ashley Hobbs.

The senior hurler shut out Ball State in her five innings, allowing just one hit.

The main difference in the second game was the Hoosier bats. The team exploded for eight runs on 11 hits as they won in a rout.

“It helps when you get on top early,” Bergeson said. “It also helps when you have good offense, defense and pitching.”

Bergeson credits the contagious hitting to the Hoosiers’ blowout win in the second game.

“We had 11 hits, and we got them from everybody,” Bergeson said.