sports softball

Dominant Michigan up next for IU

IU utility player Bridget Langan high-fives head coach Michelle Garnder after hitting a triple in the second inning Wednesday during the second game of a double header. Langan's hit kicked off a four run inning to propel the Hoosiers to a 8-0 win over Ball State after defeating the Cardinals 2-1 in the first game.

Wednesday night will show whether or not the Hoosiers are a different team since Michigan no-hit the team back in February.

On paper, Wednesday night’s doubleheader at Michigan (34-9, 10-2) is about as lopsided as it can get for the Hoosiers (9-34, 3-11). Michigan comes into the contest as winner of its past 14 games and with a No. 9 ranking.

The only conference losses Michigan has suffered this season came when it played Northwestern. Both games shared a one-run difference in scoring.

Shutting out four of their last six opponents, Michigan pitchers are on top of their game right now, which could spell trouble for a banged-up Hoosier team. Junior Nikki Nemitz and sophomore Jordan Taylor have been giving opposing hitters fits all year.

Nemitz recently notched her 20th win of the season and boasts a 0.74 ERA. Nemitz could have an even higher win total, but Taylor’s dominance has proven she is worthy of getting starts as well.

Keeping Michigan’s offense in check will be the key factor in both games. This season, the Hoosiers are 2-28 when they allow more than three runs in a game.

With that being said, teams do not win games on paper. Michigan might have the Hoosiers in every hitting and pitching category, but there are some things in the Hoosiers’ favor.

Michigan can very easily look past the Hoosiers with critical Big Ten games against Iowa and Ohio State next on the schedule. The Hoosiers also seem ready to play with a nothing-to-lose mentality, which means coach Michelle Gardner will not be afraid to take some risks against the Big Ten foe.

Another aspect that plays into the Hoosiers’ favor is their experience against Top 10 teams. The Hoosiers have played seven teams so far this year ranked in the top 25, including Michigan. Gardner has repeatedly stressed the importance of playing elite teams to get ready for the best of the Big Ten.