Syracuse outlasts Connecticut 127-117 in 6 OTs

Connecticut's Kemba Walker lays on the floor after missing a shot at the end of the fifth overtime period against Syracuse during a quarterfinal NCAA college basketball game at the Big East men's tournament Thursday at Madison Square Garden in New York. Syracuse won 127-117.

NEW YORK — Syracuse and Connecticut played a game for the ages Thursday night and into early Friday. When it was over, everybody in Madison Square Garden was exhausted and, except for the losing team, exhilarated.

Telling someone that No. 18 Syracuse beat No. 3 Connecticut 127-117 in six overtimes in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament is equivalent to saying there's a star in the sky.

There's more, so much more.

"I've got no words," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said when asked to describe the second-longest Division I game ever. "I've never been prouder of any team I've coached."

There were the numbers, from the 3 hours, 46 minutes it took to play the game that ended at 1:22 a.m., to the combined 244 points, 102 of which came after the regulation buzzer, to the eight players who fouled out, to the six who registered double-doubles.

And that wasn't nearly all. Just ask Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn, who had 34 points and 11 assists in a game-high 67 minutes, only 3 fewer than were played.

"I just wanted to get the game over with," he said. "I was thinking, 'Lord, just get this game over with. Whoever wins the game, let's just get it over with.' "

Much earlier in the evening, West Virginia beat No. 2 Pittsburgh 74-60, meaning that instead of a much-anticipated third meeting between two teams that held the No. 1 ranking this season in the semifinals, it will be sixth-seeded and 18th-ranked Syracuse and the seventh-seeded Mountaineers.

"I can't even feel my legs right now," Flynn said. "It was a tough game, we battled it out, but we have to turn it around — today — and face a tough team in West Virginia."

Top-seeded and fifth-ranked Louisville will meet fourth-seeded and 10th-ranked Villanova in the other semifinal.

Andy Rautins hit a 3-pointer 10 seconds into the sixth overtime, giving the Orange their first lead since regulation.

"We needed to get one tip and sure enough we had the set play and we had Andy coming off a set screen and boom, he made it," Boeheim said. "That was pretty big."

The game finished one overtime short of the record set in Cincinnati's 75-73 victory over Bradley on Dec. 21, 1981.