sports baseball

Smith expects better defense in spring trip

Freshman outfielder Alex Dickerson swings against Morehead State Tuesday afternoon at the Sembower Field. Dickerson and the Hoosiers hit nine home runs, with 22 hits in an 18-3 win.

After a tough 8-7 loss to Kentucky, IU (5-7) will head to Florida for a spring trip where it will play eight teams.

The Hoosiers will play their first game Saturday against  Bowling Green at Chain O’Lakes Stadium in Winter Haven, Fla. They will then compete in a string of contests, which will lead IU into conference play and its toughest portion of the season.

After the team’s Wednesday loss, IU coach Tracy Smith said the Hoosiers have played well enough to win yet continue to falter in two integral phases: defense and timely hitting.

Junior pitcher Matt Bashore (0-3) only allowed four hits March 11 but still gave up eight runs to the Wildcats. Smith said Bashore pitched a good game but didn’t get much help from the defense behind him. 

“You could say he pitched well enough to win,” he said. “If we take care of the ball, we may have a better chance.”

The one constant on the Hoosiers stat sheet has been errors. Smith said they will have to correct their most glaring blemish to be successful.

“Our team is going to have to take better care of the ball if we expect to win,” he said.

– By DeAntae Prince