sports baseball

IU sluggers drop game to Northern Iowa 28-17

The IU baseball team played in a game for the record books on Monday.

The Hoosiers (6-9) lost 28-17 to the University of Northern Iowa (9-9). Both teams had pitching problem, leading to astronomical numbers from the batters.

IU tallied 17 runs, 22 hits and 14 earned runs. The Hoosiers hit .500 on the day, posting their 22 hits in only 44 at bats.

Those who had big days on the bases included: catcher Josh Phegley (2-2), DH Alex Dickerson (3-5) and Kipp Schutz (3-4) who also had a grand slam to his credit.

UNI also had a big day, which was mostly because the IU pitchers had an off day that began to go south in the fourth inning. They allowed a grand total of 28 hits to match the amazing amount of 28 runs scored.

Junior pitcher Matt Bashore pitched evenly with Northern Iowa’s Colin Rea for three innings, as they both allowed hit after hit. Bashore gave up eight hits, four earned runs and struck out three in three innings. The bases were loaded when he was relieved by freshman Wyatt Hoff, who could not pitch his way out of the jam. Hoff only needed only one inning for five runs to score.

IU was down 9-5 by the fourth inning, where the IU batters turned it on, and provided much-needed run support.

Junior shortstop Jake Dunning (2-3) tripled, and was driven home by sophomore first baseman Jerrud Sabourin’s sac fly to right field. Phegley also scored an unearned run in the fourth inning, when freshman DH Alex Dickerson singled out, pulling IU within two in the 9-7 game.

The fifth inning was no better from the mound. Hoff began the fifth inning by giving up three more runs. The Panthers ultimately scored eight runs in the inning, pulling away for a 17-7 lead, which was built upon an outrageous 18 hits by UNI. Hoff eventually allowed eight hits and 10 runs; freshman Marshall Gorham relieved him, giving up another eight hits and seven runs.

At one point, IU coach Tracy Smith pulled Sabourin to pitch late in the game.

While the Hoosiers offense piled the offense on late, the UNI lead proved insurmountable for the Hoosiers.