sports baseball

IU loses to Minnesota

IU freshman pitcher Blake Monar throws to a Minnesota batter during a game Friday at Sembower Field. IU lost 12-5, dropping Monar's record as a starter to 2-2.

IU and Minnesota went play for play through three innings, as each pitcher retired almost every batter they faced.

That changed in the fourth inning of the Hoosiers’ 12-5 loss.

Freshman pitcher Blake Monar (2-2) had only allowed one run through three innings, before a series of walks, hit batters and infield errors caused IU to allow six points. Monar allowed 10 hits, seven earned runs, walked five batters and hit two in six innings. He struck out five in the loss, and Minnesota pitcher Chauncey Handran (4-1) picked up his fourth win of the season.

Handran was dominant throughout, pitching eight innings, allowing six hits and only two runs. He consistently took down IU’s first three batters, keeping his pitch count low. While Handran only threw 91 pitches, Monar hurled 117 in two less innings.

The fourth inning put the Hoosiers in a common position, as they were once again forced to play catch-up. IU coach Tracy Smith said he was still confident in IU’s chances following the fourth-inning run that gave Minnesota a 6-0 lead.

“We have to do a better job of still making quality pitches,” he said. “If you hold that thing down, with our offense, you’re still going to have a chance to do it.”

IU’s infield only tallied one official error, but miscues deepened its jam in Monar’s worst-pitched inning. Many ground balls found gaps in the defense, which put players on base in situations that usually end with routine outs. Their performance can be partially credited to injuries and recent movements in the lineup.

Both teams took a different approach to the batter’s box. IU hit the first pitch it saw on several occasions and grounded into successive outs, while Minnesota was more methodical, making Monar work for outs.

Notable hitters from the game were Evan Crawford (1-4, 1 Run, 1 RBI), Kipp Schutz (2-4, 1 Run), Chris Hervey (1-4, 1 RBI) and Jake Dunning (2-4, 2 RBI). Alex Dickerson also tallied a run.

Pitchers Wyatt Hoff and Drew Leininger also worked on the mound. Hoff’s outing came to an abrupt end when he immediately allowed two hits and two runs. He only lasted 1/3 of an inning, after relieving Monar.

Leininger followed Hoff, pitching for 2 2/3 innings. He started well, but gave up a two-run homer to pinch hitter Jon Hummell. He allowed three runs, three hits and struck out one.